Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Yea, I did it! But now I can't feel my arms.






Last Tuesday I had so much on my plate to accomplish that I broke down and decided to get some help with the lawn. I'd been putting the backyard on the back burner, so the grass (er, weeds) had grown so tall that I was practically losing sight of Miss Ellie back there. While her haven had been growing taller, it had exponentially gotten smaller since she had no intention of wading through the overgrown patches. She's no dummy. I found out why: snakes. Eek!

So this guy was supposed to come yesterday, then today, or maybe tomorrow and just the thought of not knowing when this help would be arriving gave me the gusto (or frustration) to attempt to tackle the job myself.

I don't know what it is about power tools, but I typically wait until the last minute to either fix them, tune them up, or just use them. So there I was, finding myself in the living room, reading the manual online on how to restring the trimmer. When I accomplished that, I had to figure out how to mix the oil + gas... oh, and did I mention that even getting this thing to start is a trick in itself since the line is so very long, and I'm so very short, that I practically have to do this running backwards trick to while holding the pole of the trimmer down with my foot...

The long of the short of it is, 4 hours and 10 snakes later, I had actually manicured the weed-infested lawn. And I'm damn proud of it.

So girls, if you ever want to feel really good about yourself, here's what you do:
1. Hire a man to do the job
2. Ponder whether or not you could do the job yourself, just because
3. Attempt the job
4. Call back the man you initially hired to do said job and hear his reaction when you say, "Nah, I don't really need the help anymore, because I was able to accomplish it myself"
5. Beam with pride

Go ahead! You know you earned it.

1 comment: