Monday, April 28, 2008
Made these for my BBQ this past weekend... they were a huge hit! I don't know why, but I was craving lemon squares and couldn't find my grandmother's recipe... so I bought the latest BH&G and made the ones that were on the cover. They are much thicker than what I remembered hers to be – and more rich lemony and buttery tasting — so they really eat more like pie! I will definitely be making these again. I think they'd be great for a Spring bridal or baby shower. Oh, and if I can make 'em on the first try, you'll do just fine.
2/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
4 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel, divided
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. finely shredded lime peel
2 Tbsp. sifted powdered sugar
1. Prepare Candied Citrus Slices. In large skillet combine 1/4 cup water and 3/4 cup sugar; bring to boiling. Add 2 lemons or 10 key limes, thinly sliced. Simmer gently, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until just softened. Transfer to rack; cool.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan with heavy foil; set aside.
3. For crust, in large mixing bowl beat butter on medium to high for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar; beat until combined. Beat in 2 cups of the flour until crumbly. Stir in 2 teaspoons of the lemon peel. Evenly press on bottom of prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, for filling, in medium bowl combine eggs, granulated sugar, remaining 1/2 cup flour, lemon juice, baking powder, and nutmeg. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in remaining lemon peel and the lime peel. Pour over hot crust. Bake 20 minutes more or until edges are browned and center appears set. Remove to rack; cool 1 hour. Refrigerate, covered, 2 hours.
5. To serve, sprinkle evenly with powered sugar (sift over top). Lift from pan using foil; cut into bars (yields approx 16-20). Add Candied Citrus Slices. Store, covered, in fridge up to 3 days.