Thursday, December 20, 2007

Ellie's First Christmas

It's been quite a nutty week... certainly the case for most of you, I'm sure. All the gifts are snuggly wrapped and sitting under the tree. Of course, they will all need to be packed up and taken with me to NC this year again since they are truly gifts, but in the meantime, I'll get to enjoy them and pretend they are mine all mine.

Tonight will finally be cooking and candy making night. I got really behind this year on the baking, since the making took so long. I will be teaching Witt how to make the traditional Christmas toffee and also the peanut butter cookies we have each year. I have absolutely no idea who is going to be eating all of this, but am reminded that it's the baking that's equally as fun as the eating, so that's ok.

I only have one more gift to make, but just realized that I still need to get my stocking done for Miss Ellie. This is the time of year that is most exciting for her because she gets all these ridiculous things I never allow her to have during the year plus a softie. Oh yes, it gets pulled apart in two seconds, but she's worth it.

I've been thinking a lot about her lately and how much different (and better) my life is because of her. She came home with me two weeks before Christmas just two years ago, and this picture is of us on Christmas morning (Mom made that stocking and filled it to the brim with puppy goodies that year for her).



Gosh, she was little. Sometimes I forget that. Oh, and she was so very sick too... I was so worried about her and most of December and January was filled with vet appointments and prescriptions. Most of you know this already, but she was a rescue pup - her mom and siblings were found amongst the grass in the middle of I-20 at just 5 days old. A very good person who rescued dogs such as these (called gun dogs because they are a hunting breed) brought them all to her home and luckily found forever homes for all of them. That's not usually the case, and I'm just so happy that I was the one who was blessed with taking Gabby (her given name at the time) home that day. I have always said that the day I rescued her was really the day she rescued me.

No comments: