Thursday, December 11, 2008

Open Letter to Christmas: Why the Rush?

Christmas snuck up on me again this year. Every year I tell myself, "Self? Next year, you'll do better! You'll have purchased and created all your gifts come fall, so it will be a snap! There will be no rushing about, no worrying, no stressing, Oh no! Not at all! You will be oh so prepared."

Sigh.

Not the case, my friends. I haven't even gotten the list together... you know, the one that you mull over for days, perhaps weeks until you come up with just the perfect present for Mom (or Dad, or boyfriend or best friend)? Oops. I think this year may be the worst one yet.

But, the tree is up.



Shining with all off my favorite vintage ornaments that mean so much to me.




And the mantle has been rearranged, yet again, filled with angels and 100 year old sleigh bells.




And, don't you think, she's the prettiest tree?



I do.

And looking at her makes me slow down, take a deep breath and realize that the rushing and the doing and the organizing and the planning and the perfecting — is not what it's all about.

No.

I think it should be more about the pausing, don't you?

No comments: